Real document scanners have major advantages in electronic Document Management – as opposed to the popular all-in-one printers.
- better paper feeds for less paper jams and greater number of documents
- automatic page alignment, no crooked scans
- automatic cutting to correct image format
- automatic adjusting of brightness and contrast
- filtering of drop-out colours
- double intendation recognision, thus, reduction of risk for document loss (if documents not scanned go unnoticed)
- automatic marking of scanned pages via an imprinter
- generally better image performance for better OCR results and thus less manual reworking
- advantage of a reliable full-text search in the Document Management System
Recommendation in the interaction with Document Management Systems
Generally the use of a real document scanner is recommended, because it saves reworking, less documents get lost and has many more advantages. A scanner-printer-copier-combination can also be used for financial reasons, that can also deliver satisfactory results with simpler scans.