Open Source Document Management Systems are increasingly used in companies from different sectors
They combine the low risk of a free DMS with the benefits of a paperless office
- Many criterias should be considered when choosing the best software, but legal compliance, text recognition, workflow management,user interface and access control are crucial for nearly every company
- Questions to consider before choosing a Open Source Document Management System
- Criteria to acknowledge for choosing the best free Document Management System
- bitfarm-Archiv versions
- The powerful open source solution
- Freeware GPL & Enterprise
- Use cases
- Product details bitfarm-Archiv Software
- Further reading: Sources and interesting links
Generally speaking, using a document management software will help you achieve significant time and effort savings when searching for a document. Moreover, you will need less expensive storage since you are legally able to destroy the original paper-based document once it is archived audit-proof. Using a DMS has many more advantages, for instance a powerful automatic text recognition (OCR) in order to enable full-text search.
You can combine these advantages with the benefits of an open source based software. From a monetary point of view, open source software is free to use and high charges for closed source solutions can be avoided. In case you still need support from an open source DMS: These costs are usually low since the creators of the software are using already existing software components. This economic advantage is passed most of times to the end user.
Another advantage of an open source document management software is the flexibility. Many companies need a custom solution for their existing ERP, so they can connect the DMS with their company software system. An open source code allows the user to adjust the DMS by himself. No expensive external tools are needed and the user has full control over his system, which results in a safe and reliable architecture.
Summing up, using an open source document management solution is especially useful for smaller and medium sized companies. Since open source software can be used for free, there is a low risk for companies when they are just starting out with document management. The need of paying a high amount of money for proprietary software is no longer given, when there are still uncertainties about how a DMS will benefit the own company. Not only companies profit from an open source DMS, but also private users who want to organize their documents at home for free.
Criteria to acknowledge for choosing the best free Document Management System
When choosing the optimal open source document management software, there are a lot of criteria which should be considered. Even smaller features, like a disk image, can benefit greatly, once it is an important criteria for a company. While we cannot list every possible point here, we are providing you a list of aspects which are crucial in nearly ever company. If you are looking for an open source DMS, you should consider the following key points among other things.
- Workflow Management
- Text Recognition
- Legal Compliance
- User Interface
- Access Control
- Digital archiving – Audit-proof scan, capture, index and archive documents and find them quickly at any time. Archive e-mails, invoices and other business documents in a legally compliant way.
- Document organisation – Order and project related document organization, automatic categorization, assignment and distribution
- Workflow management – displaying electronic document workflows
- Enterprise Content Management – Creating and editing documents collaborative, building a knowledge database, enforcing compliance requirements.
- Contract Management – Never miss a cancellation period again. Get an overview of your active subscribtions.
Product details bitfarm-Archiv Software
- Product philosophy – the idea behind an open source product
- Function overview – overview over the functions
- Features – product features in key points
- Advantages – comparison with other systems
- Costs & licensing – costs of an electronic document management system
- Screenshots – Product screenshots
- Videos – Product videos
Further reading: Sources and interesting links
Are you interested in more information around the topic of open source document management?
„bitfarm-Archiv DMS gives us reliable and fast access to important documents at any time. This makes our work much easier and allows us to concentrate on the most important things.“Johannes Hanf, Stephan Braunfels Architects